Wednesday, July 6, 2011

INTRODUCING DR. JORDAN PAUL LABOUFF


In the fall of 2001, my son Jordan was preparing to attend Baylor University. I drove him down to Waco and dropped him off and I remember looking into my rear view mirror and seeing him walk away with suitcases in hand. As cheesy as it may sound, that image is like a Norman Rockwell painting that will be burned into my brain forever.

I told him at the time that I had some predictions for him as he began his college career. One of those predictions was that he would own Baylor University by the time he graduated. I can report that four years later his name was on the deed.

He graduated with a 4.0 and was named the outstanding graduating senior in the University. He jumped right into his graduate studies in Neuroscience and moments ago he called to let me know that he had just finished successfully defending his doctoral dissertation.

Allow me to introduce: Jordan Paul LaBouff, Ph.D

This fall he begins a teaching position with the honors college at the University of Maine. In a couple of weeks I'm going to drive a U-Haul from Waco, TX. to Bangor, ME. containing all of the earthly possessions that he and his lovely wife have accumulated over the years. This will be the greatest road trip in the history of all road trips. Bob Hope and Bing Crosby have nothing on us.

I'm insanely proud of my son's academic achievements, but there are other things about my son for which I'm even prouder:

His favorite movie is the Princess Bride (which is why he never falls victim to classic blunders; the most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia.) He can sing all of the lyrics to Billy Joel's "We didn't start the fire" and the Barenaked Ladies' "One week" without taking a breath. He's an incredible chef and makes a peanut butter ice cream that could cause nations to topple. He is a consummate beer geek. Little old ladies like to pinch him on the cheek.

When he was 13 he acted like he was 28. Now that he's 28 he occasionally allows himself to act like he's 13 and I really like that about him.

He always remembers my birthday and father's day.

He has a rapier wit and the ability to slay mere mortals with a level of sarcasm so keen and so incredibly subtle that his opponents do not even realize they have been decapitated until they are walking away and their heads fall off. But he only does this to really obnoxious people who deserve it because he's a much nicer person than I am.

He runs marathons for charity. He makes chainmaille jewelry. He's a widely published researcher. He tends bar part time. He tends to stay fairly busy.

Jordan has become of a man of unparalleled integrity. He's a good husband and he's a good friend. He occasionally makes mistakes like the rest of us, but he is the type of man who always takes responsibility for his actions and learns from his mistakes. He does nothing halfway and is passionate about all that he does. He is respected by his peers, lauded by his teachers, and admired by his students.

He has friends and family who would die for him.

I'm proud of the Ph.D, but these are the reasons I'm really proud of my son.

Please take a moment and leave a note for Jordan in the comments section below, congratulating him on his incredible accomplishment.

6 comments:

  1. I have followed your dad on xanga and now on facebook. I know that he says what he means. It speaks volumes for a man to write a tribute to his son like this one. I join him in congratulating you on your accomplishments and in wishing you a productive, peaceful, passionate future.

    Gayle Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your son for going into the future to get his Ph.D and back again! That's quite an accomplishment.
    Seriously though, it's great to hear all that he's completed, and even more, to make his daddy proud!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me smile to think our future is in the hands of young people like you. Thank you for caring to do your best. Make us proud, Jordan. No pressure, hu?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! to Jordan, but also to you, Mark. From teaching young people for the past...oh, three-thouseand years or so, I know that great kids come from great parents. He is a credit to you. (And PS: my son the science geek also makes chain maille jewelry. I think it's part of the geekery thing.) Congratulations, Jordan! And while you're in Bangor, look up Stephen King for me. I think the two of you would get along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive offspring. And a handsome little bugger. All the girl science geeks in his classes are going to write "i love you" on their eyelids and blink at him all during class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete